Journal of a multimedia collaborative news project with the participation of 100+ students from 8+ universities across Lebanon ----- "It was one of those really, really, long days :-) "

Monday, May 25, 2009

Journal of a VideoSoldier

In a country like Lebanon, the voice of the youth isn’t necessarily heard or even respected. This illusion of freedom of speech has been haunting me all throughout my youthful years. And now I am one year away from performing my civil duties to the fullest, a year from being a voting Lebanese citizen.

Dima, my NDU teacher from last semester, approached me with a project to create an active media outlet that gives the Lebanese youth a chance to express themselves before the upcoming Lebanese parliamentary elections. The whole idea seemed a bit too good to be true at first but the prospect of it left a tingle within my stomach encouraging me to pursue this to the fullest.  So here we are, youth from different universities, cultures from all across the country divided into groups of journalist, writers, photographers and film makers working together at RootSpace to create something out of nothing. We have to create a print and online newspaper, 20 videos, a full documentary and many articles in 3 weeks….yea I know.

So there we were a bunch of college students staring the impossible straight in the eye.

A hectic week has passed by, 2 videos have been broadcast on Kalam An-Nas and the rest are on the way.  I honestly don’t know the extent of our progress because I am too deep within the storm to see. This is the beginning of my work in this project and I have to say that no matter the conclusion is, this experience pushed me to the extent of my professional boundaries. I have worked alongside a diverse group of my peers and I can honestly say it’s been a blast.

The battle is not over yet but so far so good….

 

No comments:

Post a Comment